Homemade Gak + Experimenting Ideas
Gak is one of Ryan’s favorite slimy, gooey recipes (from Steve Spangler Science). It’s easy to make and when stored in an airtight container or zip-lock bag, it stays for quite some time. With a different feel and consistency than play dough, it creates a unique sensory experience.
- 8 ounce bottle of Elmer’s Glue
- warm water
- food coloring
- mixing bowl
- Use a brand new 8 ounce bottle of Elmer’s Glue and empty the entire bottle of glue into a mixing bowl. Fill the empty bottle with warm water and shake (okay, put the lid on first and then shake). Pour the glue-water mixture into the mixing bowl and use the spoon to mix well.
- Add a drop or two of food coloring into the water and glue mixture.
- Measure 1/2 cup of warm water into the plastic cup and add a teaspoon of Borax powder to the water. Stir the solution – don’t worry if all of the powder dissolves. This Borax solution is the secret linking agent that causes the Elmer’s Glue molecules to turn into slime.
- While stirring the glue in the mixing bowl, slowly add a little of the Borax solution. Immediately you’ll feel the long strands of molecules starting to connect. It’s time to abandon the spoon and use your hands to do the serious mixing.
- Keep adding the Borax solution to the glue mixture (don’t stop mixing) until you get a perfect batch of Elmer’s slime. You might like your slime more stringy while others like firm slime.
- When you’re finished playing with your Elmer’s slime, seal it up in a zipper-lock bag for safe keeping.
Ideas for Experimenting:
- Is Gak a solid or liquid?
- How is it like a solid?
- How is it like a liquid?
- Can you pour Gak?
- What happens to Gak when you set it on a table for a minute?
- What kinds of shapes can you make with Gak?
- Does Gak break?
- How far can you stretch Gak?
- What happens when you stretch Gak and let it go?
- Can you get bubbles inside Gak?
- Can you get bubbles out of Gak?
- Use coins or small objects to make imprints in the Gak. Do these imprints last?
- What happens to Gak in the refrigerator? What happens if you freeze it?